Monday, March 29, 2010

The Draft System - A Work In Progress

Bottling beer is a real pain in the nuts: the scavenging, peeling labels, cleaning, capping, priming...pretty much the whole damn thing. Lets just say there isn't much romance in it. Thus, I introduce to you my new draft system.

Ok, it is definitely a work in progress. The fridge I bought for $40 is about an inch shy of fitting two 5 gallon kegs, so until I get around to building a collar for it, I will only have one beer on tap. Right now that is my Angry Ale. More on that later, but it is turning into a pretty decent beer.

The guts of the draft system in the Master-Brew Dual Gauge Keg Kit from Midwest Supplies. It came with a CO2 tank, two 5 gallon Corny kegs, all the tubing, and 2 picnic taps.

My eventual plan is to mount two shank taps on the door, but I want top see how my collar works out first. So for now, you still have to open the door to get to the tap. Yes, pretty hood, but it works.

I am still on the fence about force carbing the beer. There is some extra depth that is missing compared to natural carbonation, although it does cut about two weeks out of the brewing process. However, I think my next beer will be naturally carbonated in the keg (a saison, perhaps?). Hopefully I will get around to brewing that next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment